The fall season brings on the craze for pumpkin everything and so many people look forward to the Starbucks Fall Inspired Beverages. I used to work in Starbucks in college, so I know all too well how highly anticipated the new fall menus are!
Problem with the Starbucks coffees are that they tend to be very sugary and they’re not made from the best ingredients—none of this is very good for the skin. Here’s a link to a controversial article on one woman’s research into what’s really in a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte (hint: it ain’t pumpkin!).
With respect to that article, take it or leave it. But if you’re like me, you’d just rather make treats like this at home so you know what’s in it.
Since caffeine is dehydrating to the body and the skin, I prefer to use a coffee-like tea called Teecino that I LOVE! (You can easily make this with coffee, though and I’ll tell you how below).
The one that I chose was the Organic French Roast and it turned out beautifully! If you have a hard time going without your sugary coffee drinks in the morning, try this recipe and let me know how you like it. 🙂
Ingredients: Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup freshly made Organic French Roast Teecino or 1/3 cup freshly brewed coffee
- ¼ cup organic canned pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie mix
- ½ tsp maple syrup or other sweetener to taste (try Stevia for 0g sugar)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ to ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 can coconut milk
1. Place all ingredients (except coconut milk) into a Vitamix or high powered blender.
2. Blend on low at first, gradually turning up to high and mix thoroughly. In the Vitamix, you can use the “Soup” setting to heat the latte. For other blenders, if the mixture doesn’t get hot, you can reheat on stovetop to warm.
3. For the coconut cream, you have 2 options:
a. Chill the can of coconut milk for a few hours before using. The coconut fat will separate from the water. When you open the can, you’ll see the fat on top (thick and white). Scoop out a few spoonfuls into a bowl, add a touch of maple syrup to sweeten (if desired), whip with a fork and place a nice dollop on top of your latte.
b. Open the can of coconut milk, mix with a fork and drizzle it over your latte (that’s what I did in the photo).
4. Curl up with a good book and enjoy!