The other day I shared with you the idea that your environment will trump your willpower long term. Today I want to share 5 things that I have implemented in my own life to reduce the amount of willpower I need to exert to stay lean, healthy and fit.
These rules I have put in place are based off me knowing my own tendencies which are:
- I will finish anything in front of me. This includes the entire bowl of candy, or family sized bag of chips.
- I will find excuses to skip workouts when I don’t feel like working out, which is most days.
- I have extreme tendencies, which goes along with #1.
Knowing my own tendencies, I have created the following 5 lifestyle hacks to ensure I stay true to my health goals:
1. I have multiple workout partners so if one is sick, traveling, or unable to make it, I have others who are counting on me to show up.
2. I don’t bring any processed food into my apartment. The exception to this is when I host a party but I make sure the junk leaves my home when the party ends.
3. I don’t purchase liquid calories. I don’t buy soda, juice, coffee, etc. This saves my money and my calories.
4. I don’t drink alcohol. I doubt I would be able to drink responsibly given my tendencies, so I decided to just not start in the first place.
5. My workplace will not offer unhealthy options to my clients or my staff. I have an advantage on this one since I own my place. I won’t even allow my team to bring in a coffee maker. If they want coffee they can get a cup somewhere else. I loved the gym I worked at before opening up the Transformation Center, but the soda vending machine right next to the front desk was really upsetting to me.
Bonus: I plan all my vacations around physical activities. This ensures that I will be fitter after the vacation and gives me something to train for leading up to it.
You might look at my list and say Dustin, you have it easy, you live alone, you are your own boss, and you don’t have kids so it’s easier to control your environment.
Sure I might have some advantages, but I know thousands of moms who have been able to make these shifts in their environments to create lasting change, so no excuses!
Remember these are just my lists and strategies for staying healthy, fit and lean – take some time to develop some lifestyle hacks that work for you and your life!
If you are looking for a short 6 week program that you can do at home that helps you make these lifestyle hacks for you and your family, ->-> Click here to learn more <-<-