I was brainstorming this recipe I wanted something that was simple and I wanted it to remind me of fall. This recipe did it. It features fresh spinach greens, Bartlett pears (wrapped with bacon, no less), crisp cucumber, crunchy walnuts and pumpkin seeds and my favorite—dried Bing cherries. This fresh salad reminds me of a crisp, fall morning. It’s absolutely refreshing.
- Spinach greens or greens of choice
- 1 recipe of Bacon Wrapped Bartlett Pears
- 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ½ English cucumber, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup Bing cherries (or dried cranberries), roughly chopped
- 1 recipe of Garlicky Balsamic Vinaigrette
For the Bacon Wrapped Pears:
- 2 ripe Bartlett pears, I used the yellow variety
- 5 to 6 pieces of uncured beef bacon—you could also try uncured turkey bacon
- 2 tbsp. of olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. Quarter the pears and remove the stem and seeds. Then cut each quarter in half. You should have 16 wedges total.
3. Using kitchen scissors, cut your bacon into thirds lengthwise. You should have long, thin strips.
4. Gently wrap each wedge of pear with one of the cut pieces of bacon, tucking the end underneath an area where the bacon has already been wrapped around the pear. Continue doing this for all 16 wedges.
5. Place the wedges in an oven safe baking dish and drizzle with olive oil.
6. Lightly dust the pears with sea salt and pepper to taste.
7. Roast the pears in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the bacon is cooked through and slightly crispy and the pears are lightly browned.
8. Serve as an appetizer or snack or as part of my Sweet and Savory Fall Salad.
Garlicky Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
Dump all ingredients into a glass jar. Shake and serve.
1. Place a handful of spinach greens in each bowl. Arrange 4 of the Bacon Wrapped Pears atop the greens.
2. Sprinkle the salad greens with the pumpkin seeds, cucumber, walnuts and cherries or cranberries.
3. Drizzle with Garlicky Balsamic Vinaigrette.