Hi, This is Kim, one of Dustin’s contributors. This fall starts my third year doing Dustin’s programs. I’ve been doing the Fit Moms for Life dvd series for two years. I supplement that with the Buns, Guns, Shoulders and Back dvd. I also like to run a few times a week. I just completed one year of being a Fit Moms For Life group leader in ND and my husband is a nutrition guru. Basically, I have access to alot of information on fitness and nutrition. Sometimes, the biggest obstacle is using it.
Whenever the “anniversary” of something comes up, I think it’s a good idea to take a good look at what I’ve been able to accomplish, what has really worked and where I have fallen short. After reflecting on my experience with Fit Moms for Life, I have come up with my Top 10 Reasons why I will continue on this program.
10. Physical Appearance: While I have lost a few pounds, inches and gone down in my body fat percentage, I have gained muscle. I have definition in my arms and legs. I like the way strength training has changed the shape of my body.
9. Education: I have learned so much over the past couple of years about eating the right foods and exercise. I always feel so proud when I read an article or see a news clip about different strength exercises to try, and I’ve already been doing them through the FMFL dvds.
8. Friendships: I have met so many people through the Fit Moms for Life groups, whether it be local or online. It’s crucial to have that network of people who you can gain information from and get support from when you need it.
7. Independence: I love being “able”. I have become so much more independent, and feel a sense that I can accomplish anything. I am “able” to move heavy furniture, climb a ladder and open jars without having to wait for help.
6. Better Balance: My balance has improved so much. I notice it alot when I am cleaning house and can bend and reach and squat down and not have to hang on to things to keep from toppling over.
5. Self-Esteem: My self-esteem is better. I feel good about myself when I take care of myself. FMFL has taught me that it’s ok to put my needs ahead of the needs of others. When you are raising children and taking care of a family, while trying to hold a job and keep up with a home, it’s easy to put yourself last. I’ve learned that I am better at everything else, when my own needs are met first.
4. Improved Health: I have not been sick since starting on the FMFL program. I sleep and concentrate better. Last week, I had my blood pressure checked and it was very low.
3. Confidence: Being a FMFL group leader has given me so much more confidence in myself. I have been a shy person all of my life, and forcing myself to get up in front of a group, in a safe environment, has helped me realize it’s ok to get out of my comfort zone.
2. Strength: I have become very strong. I can do things in my 40’s that I could have never done in my 20’s. I see a personal trainer at a local health club once per month, where we do body fat measurements and fitness assessments. The last time, I scored in the “athletic” category for ab strength. I am a woman who has had 7 children (two sets of multiples) and 3 c-sections. While I am not a contender in a bikini competition by any means, achieving the strength that I have in my core is still amazing to me. Last week, I went tubing at the lakes with my kids. What an awesome feeling to be able to participate with them, not just sit on the sidelines and watch!
1. Results: To sum this all up, the #1 reason that I love Dustin’s work, is that I am getting results. These don’t come overnight, but they come. They creep up on you and you don’t even realize it sometimes. I had to do the work. I had to be consistent and continue to push. I had to watch what kinds of foods I ate. But, two years later, it’s all worth it to me, and I will continue to press on and see what kind of awesome things I can accomplish this year!