Traveling by car. I’ll be driving to northern Wisconsin, so this makes it much easier to pack the things I would use in my normal routine.
- A healthy treat. I know there will be cookies and candy everywhere, but I find it really easy to avoid these if I bring something that I know is healthy but still satisfies my sweet tooth. My absolute favorite sweet treat is ricotta mixed with a little bit of honey. If you like something sweet, try this; it is delicious! This is a great option because the ricotta is a good source of protein(rather than pure carbs that most sweets have) and the honey adds a natural sweetness. If you’re looking for a good ricotta, I recommend the Ricotta con Latte by BelGioioso. It contains just three ingredients, all of which are natural.
- “Buns, Guns, Shoulders and Back” DVD and weights. I can’t say that I’ll be getting up at 5:30 each morning, but I’ll still be able to get in a great workout like I would if I was at home.
- Outdoor gear. My favorite outdoor winter activity is snowshoeing and northern Wisconsin is the perfect venue. Trekking through heavy snow in the woods increases your heart rate and burns twice as many calories as running or walking at the same pace. Last year I participated in a 10K snowshoe walk and I can definitely say I felt the burn in my legs!
Traveling by plane. This mode of travel has more restrictions, but I’m up for the challenge 🙂
- Food that travels well. Confession: I actually really love packing my lunch and snacks for work each day, so I’m trying to find a way to pack at least a few snacks for NYC. A few items that I’ve found travel well and don’t require refrigeration are cheese, nuts, applesauce, and canned tuna. Doing a little grocery shopping once I’m in NYC is also something I plan on doing. (QUESTION: Has anyone who has worked with Tracie Hittman tried to travel with gelatin? I want to bring some, but don’t want to cause any security issues if they see a bag of white powder in my bag!)
- Tennis shoes and workout clothes. I did some research online and found that the hotel we’ll be staying at has a great workout facility. Many Sheraton hotels have a fitness program by Core® Performance that includes a full gym, specialized dining options, and equipment for in-room workouts. They also provide online tools that include downloadable travel workouts, travel tips, and healthy snack options.
- FlipCam. This is an early Christmas present (yay!) that I plan to use around NYC to show that there are lots of ways to stay active and eat healthy while traveling. I’ll be posting the video in the next few weeks to show what I found.